Thursday, April 30, 2015

Scott's Run 4/22/2015

When I go to a spot like Scott's Run, I am generally overwhelmed with all the cacophony going on around me. It is at once breathtaking and halting at the same time.  And yes, I know, walking in the woods is for relaxation, exercise and contemplation. Yet all the random falling of tree trunks and branches, the chaos of all the intertwining twigs and young trees, the debris of decaying nature at my feet, et al, light that appears for a nano second before I can find a frame, can be very frustrating when it comes to finding the image. Though I love this setting, it takes me a while to see and compose a broader landscape. My tendency is to bring out the Macro lens and abstract a flower, mushroom or spider web when I really want to include a larger landscape that gives the viewer a sense of place, an image that is more expansive, relaxing and soothing to the eye And my goal is to get a shot right out of the camera that needs little tweaking.This is the most challenging subject matter for me. So here's the final cut for my "broader landscapes".
A hint of color bends across the vertical
A slight reflection of the green canopy in the puddle_invitation to keep going
Though it isn't showing as well as I had hoped, there was a momentary back lighting of  these shimmering leaves and a horizontal layer of fallen trunks leading me beyond the community of trunks.
Just a hint of sunshine bathing the trees along my walk.
Roadblock!
a mystical haze beyond the mossy log and tendrils disturbed by a washing away.
I need lots of practice in the woods!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle Nadine at your struggle to find your way in the woods (photographically speaking.) The only way I feel is to go for atmosphere since a pleasing composition is elusive. Number 4 with path works pretty well by providing some structure which isn't just more vertical lines. I like roadblock as well. Still green and black are not my favorite colors, especially intense almost Kelly green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the early morning sense of light and the damp, dark lushness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine, I find your frustration consonant with my own. Almost the hardest thing to photograph, I find, is a forest floor. Wild displays of autumn colors forming a mosaic across trees and branches can work, though, if shot from a distance. Sunbeams, wending through the forest canopy, and illuminating some part of the scene can also be powerfully dramatic. Being chased by a bear naturally provides singular photographic opportunities. Otherwise, I have it in mind to sit down with Barbara for 10 minutes and ask her advice as to which photographers have been successful in the forest, and take a look at their work. Best, Farid

    ReplyDelete