Saturday, May 2, 2015

Difficult Run. Why Difficult?

Good Day All, Finally got round to doing the Difficult Run assignment - apologies for not accompanying you but at the time the Gods saw fit to clobber me with an unpleasant virus.

Never much liked DR as I've not had too much success there (and almost none at all at Scott's Run); and so I was much energised by seeing the variety and quality of images on the blog. We all do see differently, don't we? - both truism and cliche. I find in that difference though many suggestive pointers to new content, themes, angles, views, what have you. The old begins to look new. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then I am an unregenerate scoundrel, for that is a lot of what I get out of entering into different sensibilities and visions. So Thanks, All.

Here's the first picture I took, early morning obviously, fairly standard river scene:



I think we must all be captivated by Pam's image of a tree trunk and roots perching on the river edge. So, naturally, I thought I might try to do something similar - not that it could ever be as good, of course. Here's what I came up with - not sure they are Pam's roots, but they might well be:



Now what do you think of the following picture? Tell you what I think. I think its a joke! it's a horror. Barbara once taught that horizontal lines spell Repose, and diagonal lines impart Dynamism or Tension to an image. So here I was faced with horizontals and diagonals in the branches and fallen trunks etc.  and I asked what a picture that mixed the two would look like. The answer is, if you mix Repose with Tension you"ll likely get a headache.



Waterfalls are a fairly easy choice at DR. I like taking pictures of them All that roiling motion mirroring the heart's agitation, as that fellow Burke would have it. Well, not exactly. Anyway, here's what I came up with:


Took another river scene. Not quite sure what to make of it. Part of the problem is, as I am sure everyone will attest, that it's hard to keep all those wayward branches from poking through the edges of the frame. So one has to work with what's on offer:



After that I didn't capture much worth reproducing here. If you went to the end of the line, as I did, you probably saw something like this:


And, if you clambered over the rocks and reached the mouth of  this little tributary, to the right you are presented with - More Roots, although I find this set rather sinister: 


The bend to the left presented this view - thank goodness for the cloud taking a stroll overhead:



And so the journey which started in Darkness ended in Light or so I amused myself thinking. Not quite finished though: here are  the elemental beginnings of a French diet:



By the time I reached the car the Fitbit one of my daughters gave me for Christmas, insists I use, and she then monitors my penchant for lethargy, had recorded 9,557 steps - easily allowing me to reach my quota of 10,000 steps by 10.00 in the morning. Allowing me to sleep the rest of the day.

Best All,

Farid

1 comment:

  1. I don't discount benefits of exercise and energy spent and generated by these small adventures, to both photo productivity and life quality in the long run - on the contrary! So glad you reacquainted yourself with DR. I appreciate your droll and gently mocking commentary and contribution to the collection of rock shots that particular snaggle tooth led to.

    ReplyDelete