Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Richmond, The Pump House Park

Richmond's Pump House Park, site of three canals




George Washington had lunch under this arch during
the construction of the first of the three canals that 
were built above the James River. 


The  Kanewa Canal, the middle canal, 
built to transport boats and goods to 
the Kanewa River. It remains incomplete 
because railroads made it superfluous 






View across the upper canal from
the Pump House


The upper canal that was built to supply drinking 
water to the city of Richmond.


A reflection of the original Pump House, which  
was built both to pump the water to the canal from 
the James River as well as to serve as an open air 
ballroom for wealthy residents of Richmond. It
 later served as a dance hall for soldiers and is now
 in disrepair. 




A reflection of a new pump house 


2 comments:

  1. Another good series (working my way down from Chain Bridge). Here I favor 2, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Also I like the quality of light and attention, dreamy quality. Thanks for commentary. I wish the original Pump House could be restored - for what, I don't know. Growing up in Washington, I mostly think of "the" canal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comments, Barbara. I wish the Pump House could be restored too. It would be a beautiful spot for events, but it doesn't have any plumbing and the city has probably let it go for too long. Bryan and Kristin had an opportunity to go inside some years back it but it seems to be hard to get access now. I'd love to get in and photograph there.

    ReplyDelete