There is an interesting quartet of sycamores near my apartment building that I can see from the Klingle road bridge. I have been thinking of making a series of photographs of them in various lights/seasons. Here is the first batch. Not sure I am getting what I hoped to--and not sure that I can define that either--so a work in progress.





White trunks with bright orange and viridian have such energy,#1 is my favorite followed by #5 which I prefer to #4 because of the glimpse into the near distance on the right leads into a softer space and a bit of mystery.
ReplyDeleteYour expressive sycamores were posted before Chain Bridge and I thought of them as we walked toward you when we arrived, as they are so part of the Chain Bridge experience. Their trunks and branches are especially gestural, their exfoliating skin (bark) is animalistic, their persona (aura? OK, their form) is extravagant. Since they are close at hand, and you have that tree-top vantage point (like Chain Bridge, also possible at Dumbarton wild section) I hope you will check back with them soon and again.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I find interesting about shooting them, and in your images, is the way even light-toned branches can turn dark to black depending on angle/type of light and your point of view. Here there is also contrast between very light and dark trees - appealing drama.