Sunday, November 15, 2015

Still working on the sycamores.  I uploaded the first group again here so that we could look at them all together.  I want to do more night photos--but I am not sure what I need to do to make them work better.  I made them black and white as the bridge has those orange street lights and I was getting a weird mix of yellow (near the lights) and purple (away from the lights) bark that I couldn't fix with LR.  Anyway, would love feedback on what is working and not in this group. 






















4 comments:

  1. 15-16 is my favorite. Again I respond to the somewhat sly, not super-obvious windows and wall peeking through the wallpaper woods, with their November / April look of transparency - bare branches patterned with sparse leaves. And again, I respond to the patterns of black and white branches in color images in 15-16, and 7 with splash of closer leaf color. And still like the one with "tear drop" opening.

    I was snatch-shooting sycamores against brilliant blue sky yesterday at the end of 12 mile hike and thought of you as I noticed dark shadowed branches against brilliantly sunlit white limbs.

    They are so expressive - and accessible around the city. You may want to keep an eye out at other locations this fall into winter and beyond. Fun shooting them from "tree house" perspective - and options to do that abound too. For example, beside Chain Bridge, there's Dumbarton wild area. I want to make a visit soon and perhaps the Fall Foto group will want to make a Tuesday visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as what is not working (re-reading your request), for me both shooting these trees myself and looking at yours, they present an intriguing challenge to find balance in framing and composition. They invite sustained looking, and choosing an approach that equals their expressive qualities, whether some type of b+w, or something else. It's interesting to peak at your process as you mull possibilities. To me it seems not so much "what's not working?" as what are you after? what will you do with this subject? where will it lead you? (how) will it sustain your curiosity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to post my comments earlier. It has makings of a great series. I would include #1-3,5&6,7,10,12,15. I am partial to the two with overall color and pattern and also to the ones with strong white trunks and limbs. I believe #15 and 16 may be identical. e overall pattern works like tapestry, (15 ) # 12 combines tapestry effect around a core of trunks - nice. Pam




    ReplyDelete
  4. The gestures of the sycamores in 1, 2 and 3 intrigue me. I love the lace and color in 15-16 also. There is someting about 13-14 and the last one that keeps me returning to them too. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete